Monday, August 6, 2007

Teachers Views of Computers as Catalysts for Changes in their Teaching Practice

Technology is at an all time high right now in our society so I would imagine that classrooms would be full of computers and that they would be integreated into all lessons but by reading this article you can see that this is simply not true and as an upcoming teacher, this comforts me quite a bit.

I am not the most technologically savy person and I feel that I wouldn't be able to do as effective a job if I had to use computer technology for everything. Mixing technology with my own creativity would be my choice on how to teach my students. It seemed to me like the teachers in the articles that were interviewed didn't really use computers very much for lessons but used computers mainly for entering grades and mainly for the teachers own use. In my own experience when I helped out in the 4th grade classroom, there was a single computer in the back where the students could get on and play fun games if they displayed good behavior or sometimes they just rotated stations so everyone got a turn on it. There were various learning games that the kids could use but probably the most popular was "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire." The kids would always want me to help them and would laugh at me when I would get the question wrong. The kids would sometimes even opt out of recess to play the game. They really loved it and this showed that the kids nowadays would really love to be taught more computer technology because in this day and age the kids are basically growing up on computers so as teachers we have to be aware of this and not completely dismiss it, but instead try to learn more about computers ourselves so we can teach the students something that they can grasp on to.

No comments: